Flamingos are very interesting and a unique animal with a blend of pink and white feathers. Here's an interesting fact, "Chogogo' is a South American Indian name for the flamingo and comes from a sound that flamingos makes when they are feeding or flying." An average flamingo is three to five feet tall."The backward bending 'knee' of a flamingo's leg is actually the bird's ankle. The actual knee is very close to the body and is not visible through the bird's plumage."Flamingos just got a lot more interesting.
My Top 5 Interesting Facts About Flamingos
- Flamingos have lived on Earth for at least 60 million years! That's longer than almost all the other species of bird!
- Flamingos hold their bills upside down while feeding, often for several hours a day
- Flamingos use hairlike combs along the edges of the bill to extract their delicious food from the mud and sand
- Young flamingos leave the nest after about 5 days! Imagine if we had to do that we'd never survive!
- Flamingos are monogamous birds that lay only a single egg each year.